Pember's Scrub Nature Refuge
Pember’s Scrub Nature Refuge
Size: 64 hectares
Location: Upper Barron, Far North Queensland
UNIQUE LIFESTYLE OPPORTUNITY
Pember’s Scrub Nature Refuge is located near Mt Hypipamee Crater on the Atherton Tablelands. It is one of six adjoining nature refuges in a corridor linking large remnants of high-altitude rainforest.
The nature covenant protects endemic flora and fauna, including the Lumholtz tree kangaroo, several species of ringtail possum, cassowary, and golden bowerbird.
This property would suit a single person or couple and is ideal for nature lovers, self-sufficiency and healthy living. The setting is very peaceful and private with a lockable gate at the entrance and no near neighbours.
The architect-designed home is set on a south-facing hillside overlooking the top of Thiaki Creek valley. It comprises a stone-clad, earth-covered dwelling and a 13-metre lookout tower behind with two decks. There are two bedrooms, one bathroom, an open-plan living area with kitchenette and a separate laundry/storage room with a total area of over 100m2.
The current owners are often away and designed the home to be a low maintenance eco-getaway – everything is easy to lock up and leave.
Other features include:
- 2000m2 domestic zone – room for extension, eg enclose tower or build shed
- 3kW off-grid solar power system
- Gas hot water and cooking
- High-gain antenna/repeater for excellent mobile reception
- Gravity-fed rainwater system with pressure pump (4 tanks, total capacity approx. 100,000 litres)
- Ram pump available for pumping from Thiaki Creek
- Forest tracks running between the refuges
- Central location (10 minute drive to Malanda, 15 minutes to Atherton, 90 minutes to Cairns Airport)
For more information including details of the nature covenant, please email email@example.com